Louis Angelo of Garren New York Salon
SHORT & CHIC: FROM “THE GREAT GATSBY” TO GAMINE—LOUIS ANGELO OF GARREN SALON NEW YORK SHOWS YOU HOW TO WORK SUMMER’S HOTTEST TREND
Whether bold and provocative, or whimsical and demure, interpretations of short, boyish crops have been trending since the 2013 Oscars, and were everywhere at last week’s 2013 star-studded Met Ball. Of course, it’s one thing for Anne Hathaway to flaunt a platinum androgynous cut on the red carpet or for Carey Mulligan to light up the screen in her Jazz-baby flapper bob as Daisy Buchanan in Baz Luhrmann’s highly anticipated “The Great Gatsby.” But what about the rest of us who weren’t born with sky-high cheekbones or large doe eyes or a swan-like neck—the features we believe we have to have in order to pull off a short cut? “Just because most of us are not ideal does not mean you cannot go short,” says celebrity hairstylist Louis Angelo of Garren New York Salon. Herewith, Louis gives the scoop on how to make the look of the moment your own.
• Look in the mirror and focus on your best feature. If it’s your eyes, short, cropped hair with a slight fringe grazing your eyebrows focuses attention on your eyes. Do you have nice cheekbones? Short hair swept up and away from your face is your go-to look. To show-case your lips, consider a Chanel-inspired, ‘20s flapper bob a la “The Great Gatsby.” The bottom line of the bob draws attention to your lips, whereas a chin-length bob defines the chin.
• You can always go to a men’s barber shop where you will most likely emerge with a masculine crop top, more severe and hard-lined. If you want to be modern, with an edge but with a more feminine allure, visit a salon where the stylist can incorporate feminine touches without giving up the strength of the final look. Soft fringe, a wispy tapered neckline or small feathered-off bits around the ears and nape allow you versatility in styling, the options to go hard or soft, masculine or feminine, geometric or smooth—you decide!
• Cutting hair short is already a dramatic move, but to rev up the drama, consider enriching the color for even more of a statement. If you are blonde, go platinum. If you’re a redhead, try cinnamon-ginger. Brunette? Think dark cappuccino. And if you have black hair, make it raven-midnight-ebony. Just as I collaborate with Christopher John, Garren New York Salon Color Director, it’s best for your hairstylist and colorist to work together with you in making this decision.
• Whether or not you opt for a change of color, the right styling products are key to keeping a short cut looking fabulous. For looks that are more controlled and contained, I recommend,René Furterer STYLING WAX to add definition and a touch of glossy shine. A dab of René Furterer MODELING PASTE is perfect when you need a little fullness and structure for your cut with more staying power—push it up and it stays up. Think Charlize Theron.
• A flapper bob like Carey Mulligan’s should be tight and small, like a little cap that fits close to the head. I recommend spraying damp hair with René Furterer FIORAVANTI shine enhancing detangling spray before your blowout to help keep hair smooth and modern.
• For the punk rock vibe of Anne Hathaway’s sculpted, lifted look, try working in a dab of René Furterer VEGETAL SCULPTING GEL before blow-drying. I find that the trick with all styling products for short hair is to work in a little at a time—you can always add more if needed.
• Last, book regular trims with your hairstylist. Even when you decide to grow out your short crop, a trim and reshaping every three to four weeks will keep your look on trend.
| || |
by David Cohen
Double Serum Complete Age Control Concentrate
By Clarins Paris • Spring 2013
Double Serum’s effect is made possible through the synthesis of its Hydric and Lipidic Systems which mimic the skin’s naturally occuring oil and water to maximize absorption, without the use of emulsifiers. To maintain stability and potency of water-and oil-soluble ingredients, each chamber has a seperate pump dispenser, to ensure the two formulas mix at only the right moment of application to provide an ideal balance ratio.
This is the only treatment that reactivates the skin’s five vital functions.
Hydration: Skin tissue which made up of 60-70% water, is essential to cell vitality. Double Serum boosts hydration and delays the appearance of wrinkles and maintains skin’s softness and comfort.
Nutrition: Cells need nutrients, notably carbohydrates, lipids and protein in order to function optimally. Double Serum promotes cell nutrition by increasing the speed at which nutrients penetrate the skin cells, increasing the rate at which the skin’s suppleness is restored.
Oxygenation: Like nutrients, oxygen is essential to the production of energy by the cells. Double Serum enhances cell oxygenation invigorating its radiance.
Protection: Age, enviromental damage and even normal cell function generate an overproduction of free radicals, which undermine basic cell structure. Double Serum protects against premature skin aging by stimulating two genes involved in skin protection and helps skin protect itself against oxidative stress.
Regeneration: After age 25, and particularly acute when coupled with enviromental stresses, the renewal of key componments of the dermis slows down dramatically. Double Serum boosts production of collagen and glycosaminollycans which are responsible for keeping skin firm, smooth and dense.
The Perfect Valentine Gifts for Her
Gigi by Ghislaine is a designer of high quality beauty products and accessories that every woman needs.
This Trifold compact mirrors from Gigi by Ghislaine is beautifully designed, and come in three different colors; red, black, and white. With a scalloped matte silver-tone lid with button, this trifold compact opens up to reveal 3 mirrors, and it is perfect for all sorts of touch-ups every woman needs. It measure to 3-3/8"W x 2-⅜"L when its closed, and to 7-7/8"L x 3-⅜"W when open. Retail at $9.21 each or $23 for a set of three.
Gigi Lots of Love Dots X Large ToteIt's the perfect all-around large tote!
Heavy Duty Microfiber Construction • Inside Zip Pocke t•Zip Top Closure • Double Webbed Handles with 13" Drop • Lined Inside * 13.5" Wide x 14.5" Tall x 5" Deep. Retail $14.90¯
Mini Flower Hipster & Clutch
This stylish petite bag is versatile, and can be used as a clutch, wristlet, or over the shoulder. This is making it perfect for a night on the town, a special event, or whenever you just need the bare necessities!
Faux Leather • Zip Top Closure •Fully Lined •6" Optional Wrist Strap • Optional Shoulder Strap with 26" Drop * 6" in Diameter
Retail: $14.97All items are available at www.gigibeautiful.com,
Most men are pretty basic when it comes to their grooming routine. While there's no harm in speedy grooming, your basic routine can always use an upgrade. Whish, a luxury all-natural and organic skincare line specializing in body products was created with women in mind but inspired by the simplicity and efficacy of men's grooming essentials.
Whish offers the following grooming necessities:
Three Whishes Body Wash – This paraben and sulfate-free multipurpose body wash cleanses and moisturizes, while also working as a gentle facial cleanser and shampoo! $18.00
Prelude - Makes for a better, closer shave each time while reducing the amount of ingrown hairs caused by dirt or impurities. Numbs, cleanses and reduces skin inflammation with natural combination of clove leaf oil, menthol, witch hazel, and organic aloe. $20.00
Shave Crave – This thick textured and moisturizer shaving cream helps to lift hairs for a closer shave, while also protecting from nicks, cuts and razor burn. $20.00
Flawless – Ideal for treating sensitive skin post shaving, flawless soothes and smoothes, fights bumps, inflammation, and prevents ingrown hairs from reoccurring. $22.50
Shave Savour – Quickly hydrates and replenishes skin after shaving or sun exposure, and is clinically proven to reduce hair growth by 26% after just 2 days of use. $26.00
| || |
The new products from Resvology claim to be the first skincare treatment to literally interrupt aging by working directly with your genes to meet and exceed the expectations of beauty consumers.
” The product’s secret ingredient is the 4-AR molecule, made of resveratryl acetate, a chemical compound which “works directly with your genes to keep skin acting younger and preventing skin cells from getting older,” according to company reps.
Resvology's story began in a leading cancer research lab where their team of gene scientists isolated the power of the first ever stabilized form of resveratryl acetate, now called the 4-AR Molecule™.
The 4-AR Molecule is the first and only molecule scientifically proven to help prevent the visible signs of aging by activatingover 85 key skin-related genes and Resvology is the ONLY skincare in the world formulated with this proprietary and patented molecule. In clinical trials, the 4-AR Molecule has been proven to help fuel gene activity which helps keep skin looking firm, lifted, youthful and radiant.
AGE CORRECTIVE™ WRINKLE TREATMENT
Clinically-advanced anti-aging face treatment with the 4-AR Molecule™ and powerful age-fighting antioxidants and botanicals to refine, rejuvenate, firm and smooth the look of aged skin. Resvology's Age Corrective Wrinkle Treatment boosts youthful activity associated with key skin genes to visibly soften fine and deeper lines as it increases moisture resulting in skin that is hydrated, smooth and luminously youthful. In fact, 92% of women agree skin is softer, smoother and nourished after just one day and 92% of women agreed that lost moisture was restored after just one day. This treatment also reinforces and restores elasticity and firmness. Another key product benefit is that 85% of women agree that skin is brighter with a significantly smoother texture within 28 days. For all skin types, the Age Corrective Wrinkle Treatment is formulated with antioxidant vitamins A, E and C, Panthenol, Glucoasmine, Sweet Pea and Bamboo extracts. Size:1.0 fl oz/30 ml; MSRP: $89AGE CORRECTIVE™ EYE CREAM
Luxurious, hydrating eye cream with the clinically-proven anti-aging 4-AR Molecule™, peptides, anti-oxidants and botanical extracts to help combat fine lines, wrinkles, dark circles and puffiness. Tests reveal that 95% of women agreed their eyes looked and felt visibly hydrated after just one day and that nearly half of all women agreed that dark circles appeared less visible after one day. With Resvology's Age Corrective Eye Cream, crow's feet, wrinkles and fine and deeper lines are virtually erased. Eight out of 10 women agreed that lines and wrinkles were minimized and the eye area was firmer after 28 days. Targeted brightening agents visibly fight dark circles and puffiness as 82% of women agreed the eye area was brighter after 28 days. For all skin types, the Age Corrective Eye Cream is formulated with peptides, antioxidant vitamins A, E, and C, Panthenol, Barley, Sandalwood and Olive extracts. Size:0.5 fl oz/15 ml; MSRP: $59
For more information visit: www.resvology.com
Source: company press release
The Eco Chic New D:tox Line by Giovanni Cosmetics
Over the last few years Giovanni Cosmetics
has been donating proceeds of their D:tox
line of products to the National Breast Cancer Foundation
. This year Giovanni Cosmetics has added two new D:tox products to their products, the NEW D:tox System® Purifying
and Exfoliating Facial Cleansing Towelettes
. These products are packed with super-antioxidants such as Acai, Goji Berry and Volcanic Ash, and the towelettes are fantastic.
This year five percents (5%) of all retail sales will go to the National Breast Cancer Foundation
. The D:tox line is full of organic detoxifying regimen found in volcanic arc near the Lipari Islands in the in Mediterranean Sea. The contents of charcoal and volcanic ash active ingredients seek their way into the pores, absorbing all the toxins, and remove the excess oils causing the skin to be clear and fresh and reborn. The new D:tox System line includes four body products that will give your skin a pure, natural life and energy. This detoxification kit includes Body Wash, Bar Soap, Body Scrub and Body Lotion. The facial system includes Cleanser, Scrub, Moisturizer, Mask and the New Facial Towelettes.To find out more visit www.giovannicosmetics.com
The Elite Therapeutics
line was originally developed to help treat patients damaged skin from radiation. This amazing skincare line can help repair any skin damage, from UV to aging and radiation damage. The products packed with high potency ingredients including natural Vitamin E, Manuka Honey, Omega 3,6, and 9, Hyaluronic Acid and more. Developed byRadiation Oncologist Dr. Kevin Schewe
, the company will be donating ten percents (10%) of online sales in the month of October to Spa4ThePink
which provides free Spa Days
to cancer patients who cannot afford them.
To find out more visit www.elitethereapeutics.com
1. Tonic Body Treatment Oil: $54
What it is:
A luxurious body treatment that contains 100% pure plant extracts, which promote skin firmness and suppleness.
What does it do
This body treatment improves skin elasticity to prevent the appearance of stretch marks and to maintain skin firmness. The lightweight, silky texture absorbs quickly to deeply nourish and tone skin. It's ideal for expectant mothers and young women going through puberty.
2. Beauty Flash Balm: $45
A balm that instantly moisturizes, brightens, and tightens facial contours so skin looks rested and relaxed.
What it is formulated to do:
The ultimate pick-me-up for tired, stressed skin, this radiance-making product helps eliminate signs of fatigue in a flash. A great 10-minute "energy" mask, its non-oily formula prepares skin for perfect makeup application and hours of luminous wear.
What else you need to know:
Formulated with olive extract, this ingredient helps to smooth the skin's surface, diffusing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Bisabolol soothes, softens, and helps restore skin's youthful glow. Clarins' most popular radiance booster, this product is sold once every 20 minutes worldwide. It is allergy-tested and non-comedogenic.
3. Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate: $82
What it is:
A restorative eye care treatment that targets all signs of aging.
What it is formulated to do:
Take years off your eyes with this innovative eye care treatment that targets the entire eye zone—temple to temple—for mature women concerned with slackening skin, under eye puffiness, and fine lines and wrinkles due to hormonal changes linked to the aging process. A powerful triple action lifts, de-puffs, and replenishes, leaving skin soft and renewed.
4. Instant Smooth Line Correcting Concentrate: $32.50
What it is:
A high precision correcting serum that smoothes away lines, wrinkles, and imperfections.
What it is formulated to do:
Clarins' Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch is now available in this concentrated and more portable version. Its boosted formula contains even more powerful skin care benefits, including a higher concentration of smoothing and antiaging ingredients. Carry it with you and apply directly onto lines for touch-ups throughout the day. Its high precision silicone tip targets the heart of the wrinkle to fill it in and smooth it away.
5. Instant Light Brush-On Perfector: $32.50
In one quick stroke, this brush-on perfector helps conceal imperfections and disguise shadowy areas as it firms and it does smooth the skin. Oat Sugars deliver an instant tightening effect to skin upon application, helping to diminish signs of fatigue and imperfections as Clarins Light Optimziing Complex illuminates the eye area and smoothes skin.
Introducing New York's next powerful entrepreneur––Gabriel Balestra. At the age 26, Balestra is not only a young gay man, but also the very successful CEO of Sabatino&Co. This 100-year-old family business is dedicated to bringing gourmet Mediterranean products to consumers who enjoy the finer things in life.
Born in Umbria, Italy, Gabriel received his education on Mediterranean culture and products from his family, especially his mother and grandmother. As a child, Gabriel was fascinated by the unique Mediterranean culture, and by the products his family and other people produced from the land.
After graduating in Rome, Italy, Gabriel moved to London, followed by a move to New York, where he studied visual arts at FIT. In New York, Gabriel decided to take his interests in visual arts and create a new avenue of expression, while still contributing to the creative mind of his family’s business––Sabatino&Co.
During this time, Gabriel collaborated with bright personalities in the fashion and film industry. He worked with popular magazines such as Vogue, Italian Vogue, and Harper’s Bazaar, as well as high-quality brands such as Dolce & Gabbana and Alexander McQueen. Gabriel also worked with celebrities such as Lady Gaga, Scarlett Ohanson, Claudia Schiffer, Kate Winslet, Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, and Sofia Coppola. Gabriel’s career in the visual arts field gave him knowledge and experience with a variety of people, and he learned to utilize his abilities and redirect them back to the job he had been prepped for since he was a young child—his family’s business. In late 2008, Gabriel worked with Italy’s largest cosmetology research center to develop skincare formulas and extracts that his grandmother developed in the late 1950’s. Giuseppina, the founder of the company, had been selling these extracts in the family’s Emporiums since the 1950’s. It is believed that many movie stars filming in Italy during the “Dolce Vita Years” had the opportunity to try them and fell in love with the results. Almost 60 years later, scientist confirmed that Gabriel’s grandmother and her high-end clientele were right--the extracts used in her formulas contained today’s most potent
anti-aging and anti-oxidant properties.
Despite the economic crisis, Sabatino&Co still continued to thrive under Gabriel’s leadership. He single-handedly expanded the business by developing Skin&Co Roma, a luxurious skincare line using the same ingredients his family has been selling for years with their well-known truffles and oils. As if this wasn't enough, in March 2011 Gabriel launched Sabatino&Co's first retail location on the venerable Newbury Street in Boston, MA, along with plans to open a flagship store in NYC in December 2012. In conjunction with the store openings, Gabriel also collaborated with Paramount based producer Linda Pianigiani (The Transformers, Salt and Kill the Habit) in a short-film (teaser) to celebrate the one hundred year anniversary of the company which was released in March, 2011.
SKIN&CO officially debuted its entire line in the USA in September 2011. Since then, the request for these acclaimed skincare products have grown beyond proportions. In early 2012, SKIN&CO signed with a major TV network as well as a popular television celebrity to endorse the company by becoming the spokesperson in the upcoming year for both print, and television ads.
Despite his growing success as a young, gay entrepreneur, Gabriel, still lives a simple life in New York City along with his most trusted colleague—his dog Codie. He eats, dreams, and always thinks Mediterranean, every day, every moment, and every chance he gets!
SKIN&CO is today a division of the Sabatino Group, Inc. which was included in the 5000 list of the fastest growing private companies in America. Despite the current economic crisis, the company has recorded a 60.5% growth in the last quarter of 2011. SKIN&CO products are distributed today nationwide as well as in Japan, Korea, China, Poland, Germany, Russia, Australia and Latin America.
Sabatino & SKIN&CO operate offices and distribution centers in New York, Las Vegas, Beverly Hills, San Francisco and Toronto, distributing to major resorts, restaurants, gourmet stores, boutiques and natural stores across the US, Canada, South America and Asia. The brand has also been featured in The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Town & Country, Bloomberg News, The New York Magazine and has been four times Oprah’s Favorite. Sabatino Group is still owned and operated by the Balestra Family since 1911. For more information and to purchase products, visit www.skinandcoroma.com.
by Shavon Thompson
1. If making a statement is on your mind, then the classic and distinctive citrus scent of the 125 ml Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme will be the one you should pick as your summer fragrance. The captivating aroma of lavender with wood undertones will get you all the attention you desire. Available at Sephora for $58.
2. The lightweight Armani Code Deodorant by Giorgio Armani will keep you fresh and cool with its perfect summer scents of lemon, orange tree blossom, and Tonka Bean. Available at Saks Fifth Avenue for $20.
3. The radiating liquid Stila All-Over Luminizer in Rose Gold will highlight the cheek-bones on your face. To accomplish a dewy look, gently dab the luminizer to the desired area, and watch how this pink blush creates a natural sparkling reflection to your skin. Available at Sephora for $20.
4. The shea butter and jojoba seed oil will sooth the ingredients in the Maifanshi Premium Pressed Powder by Koh Gen Do. The combined three subtle shades in this limited edition powder, will generate a flawless finish after any makeup application, and will maintain the foundation throughout the day. Available at Barney's, and online at www.Kohgendocosmetics.com for $73.
5. The Reel Sexy MAC Lipstick is daring and sophisticated with it's coral scent that can be wear everyday. This brave color lipstick will instantly will flatter any face and skin tones. This color will be sufficient as the only one needed for a hot summer days. Available at any MAC store or Macy's for $14.50.
6. The Everyday Gradual Tan by St. Tropez encourages a healthy and lustrous skin, while providing a bronzed effect after usage. The Aloe Vera used in this moisturizer helps to alleviate dry skin and will give you a natural golden tan all over your body. Produced for both men and women, this tanning product is great for anyone who wants to build up a golden tan. Available at Sephora, and online at www.sttropeztan.com for $30.