BY IAN MACKINTOSH
The School of Fashion at Academy of Art University in San Francisco, California will debut the collections from graduating students of the Accessory, Knitwear, Men’s Wear, Technical, Textile, and Women’s Wear Design areas of study at the San Francisco Graduation Fashion Show and Awards Ceremony on Thursday, May 6, 2010.
Each year, the School of Fashion honors industry leaders who have made an outstanding contribution to the world of fashion and creates opportunities for the honored guests to interact with the students with discussions, classroom visits and an exhibition of student work and portfolios. From these settings, guests are able to select interns from all areas of study including Fashion Design for Women’s Wear, Men’s Wear, and Children’s Wear; Technical Design; Textile Design; Knitwear Design; Accessory Design; Costume Design; Fashion Illustration; Fashion Journalism; Fashion Merchandising and Visual Merchandising.
Before the fashion show, Dr. Elisa Stephens, President of Academy of Art University will present an Honorary Doctorate to Suzy Menkes, OBE, Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur, and fashion editor of International Herald Tribune.
Academy of Art University President’s Awards for Excellence will be presented to:
· Julie Chaiken, Bay Area designer and founder of Chaiken Clothing
· Keanan Duffty, designer and author of ‘Rebel Rebel: Anti-Style’
· Patrik Ervell, winner of the 2007 Ecco Domani Award for best men’s wear designer
· Ian Hannula and Joe Haller, Bay Area designers and founders of Nice Collective
· Carol Lim and Humberto Leon, innovative retailers and founders of Opening Ceremony
· Elisa Palomino, women’s wear designer and VP of Design at Diane von Fürstenberg
· Walter Van Beirendonck, men’s wear designer and one of ‘The Antwerp Six’
· Dirk Van Saene, artist, designer and one of ‘The Antwerp Six’
Honored guests will announce internships at the end of the show. Other internships and awards to be announced include Abercrombie & Fitch, BCBG, SURTEX® designext Student Competition, and the Sister City Scholarship Exchange to study abroad in Paris at Studio Berçot and L’Ecole de la Chambre S